Important information: To comply with the new Law ‘Rule of 6’ The Chequers will operate strictly maximum of 6 people per table. This includes any children or babies. We are unable to reserve multiple tables in order to avoid customers forming larger groups. All customers are required to reserve a restaurant table or garden bench in advance. Ordering at the restaurant’s Bar is currently suspended. For more information on Safety precautions we have in place, please click here. Thank you for your understanding.
Destination Dining in Rural Essex
Overlooking the village cricket green, our Restaurant and Bar is located in the heart of the beautiful village of Matching Green, Essex. The Perfect place for lunch, dinner, cocktails, celebrations and al fresco dining. The Chequers has a welcoming atmosphere and firm focus on a great food.
Our Dining Room has an open, understated style with a sophisticated yet relaxed ambience whilst The Bar and Lounge offers a more rustic, traditional country feel. Scattered with comfy leather chairs, exposed brickwork and log burner, the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. You can also dine Al Fresco during summer months on our large Terrace, or outside in the garden on the picnic benches overlooking the delightful village green. which at 4.9 hectares is one of the largest surviving village greens in Essex.
Watch our Video Tour
Is it your first visit to The Chequers? Watch our short video tour of what we offer. Located in picturesque village of Matching Green in Essex, offering plenty of outside space for dining whether this is on our covered terraces or bench seating in the garden, outside bar for those pre-dinner drinks or our comfortable dining room. We look forward to welcoming you at The Chequers soon!
Festive Season 2020
We love Christmas here at The Chequers. We pride ourselves on a great festive atmosphere and presenting traditional Christmas food with a touch of flair, always freshly made and delicious – so come and share the festive season with us. This year we are offering a range of ways to celebrate the festive season:
- Festive Dinners – every Friday and Saturday in December – Three course set menu with a glass of Prosecco on arrival, Festive decorations, Crackers and Background Festive Music £55 per person.
- Festive Mid-Week Set Lunch – every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday lunchtime. 2 courses £22 or 3 courses £25.
- Christmas Eve, open for lunch and dinner – three course set menu £45pp.
- Christmas Day Closed all Day
- Boxing Day we will be Closed for breakfast service this year due to Boxing Day Meet not taking place, however the restaurant will be open for lunch and dinner. Three course set menu at £45pp.
- New Year’s Eve – three course dinner menu and live music by Verna Francis £120pp.
Freshly Made and Delicious
Our menus offers variety of dishes with a Mediterranean twist using the freshest ingredients, lovingly prepared. Everything is homemade, cooked fresh to order and where possibly sourced locally including vegetables and herbs grown in our very own herb garden.